New flights and direct routes means more travel possibilities and convenient options for Australian travelers
Flight routes are constantly changing, with airlines adding, taking away and altering their flight schedules as demand grows, travel patterns evolve and new technologies allow for longer distances.
We have put together a quick guide to the major additions to flights in, out of and around Australia which have come to fruition in 2016, so you can plan your next car rental
getaway with ease - and perhaps get some new ideas for holiday destinations!
Flights to Asia and Europe
- On the 1st of March, Qatar Airways launched a third route into Australia, between Doha and Sydney. This service will operate daily. Just weeks later on the 2nd of May, the line followed it up with a fourth route, flying a direct daily service between Doha and Adelaide.
- China Southern Airlines connected China and Australia a little bit more on the 27th of January, with a new thrice-weekly service between Sydney and Shenzhen.
- A thrice-weekly service by China Eastern Airlines was launched on the 16th of January connecting Shanghai and Brisbane.
- Hong Kong Airlines linked Hong Kong and the Gold Coast on the 8th of January with a new direct flight three times a week.
Flights to the Americas and within the South Pacific
- Air Canada got June off to a good start, launching a Vancouver-Brisbane route on the 1st of the month. It’s a long one at 11,838 kilometres and more than 13 hours!
- Starting from mid-June, Qantas will expand its existing Sydney to Christchurch service from seasonal to year-round, forging closer links with New Zealand’s beautiful South Island.
- New Australian regional airline Fly Corporate began its very first scheduled service on the 11th of April, between Coffs Harbour and Brisbane. The short 365-kilometre hop will be flown six times a week.
- Regional Express began flying between Sydney and Cooma on the 23rd of March, a 330-kilometre trip which will happen five times weekly.
- Airnorth started a thrice-weekly service from Brisbane West Wellcamp to Cairns on the 15th of March, and seven times-weekly service to Melbourne the day before.
- Starting from the 28th February, Regional Express was awarded two government-regulated routes from Perth to Albany and to Esperance.
There have also been many routes added from hub airports like Los Angeles, Hong Kong and Singapore which make getting around globally much easier! Find your flights, find your car rental, and explore.