Rent a car in Port Macquarie and explore this coastal gem
Experience the wonders of this New South Wales coastal town as you stroll along the pristine waterfront, dine on delicious cuisine, and learn about the incredible history and culture of the city. With its fascinating attractions and breathtaking ocean views, Port Macquarie is sure to draw you in and never let you go. Renting a car is the best way to get out and enjoy it all.
Driving in Port Macquarie
Well maintained roads and clear signage make driving in Port Macquarie pretty straightforward. The main roads weave logically through the city and along the waterfront, making navigation effortless. Note that the coastal route is one of the most popular drives in New South Wales, so it can get busy at times. Be alert to cyclists and pedestrians, especially in beach areas, and remember to share the road.
From the Airport to the City
Port Macquarie Airport is located 4km west of the town centre, just a 10-minute drive in your hired car. Head out onto Boundary St, and take a right on Hastings Road. Directions to the CBD are signposted along the route, so you’ll have no trouble making your way into the city.
Tips for Driving in Port Macquarie
● Mobile phones must not be used while driving.
● The minimum age for drivers is 18, but you have to be at least 21 to hire a car.
● The speed limit is 50km/h in the city, and 100km/h on highways.
Port Macquarie Airport provides travellers with both short and long term parking. The car park is conveniently located in front of the terminal, and ranges from $2 to $70 depending on length of stay.
In the city, street parking is mostly free, with centre, parallel and angle parking available. Ranging from 15 minutes to all-day parks, always double check any time restrictions before leaving your rental car.
AirportRentals.com.au - the simple way to rent a car in Port Macquarie
Hiring a car in Port Macquarie has never been easier with Airport Rentals. Select deals from multiple well-known rental car suppliers, and filter down your options to find your ideal vehicle. With 24/7 customer service and no booking fees, why would you look anywhere else?
Port Macquarie Airport
Port Macquarie Airport was refurbished in 2013 to accommodate the impressive growth of the city and continues to provide excellent service. There are regular daily flights to Brisbane, Sydney and seasonal flights to Lord Howe Island. After you fly in, grab a coffee and a snack at the Airport Cafe, then pick up your keys from the car rental kiosks located in the arrivals lounge.
From waterfront hotels to charming Bed and Breakfasts, there is something for every type of budget in Port Macquarie. For a luxurious stay, visit the Rydges Port Macquarie or check in to Mantra The Observatory for lovely rooms and ocean views. Hastings Valley Motel and Palm Court Motor Inn are both centrally located, and have a range of room options available.
If a Bed and Breakfast is more your style, Ana Mandara Luxury Bed & Breakfast is right on the waterfront and guarantees you a relaxing stay. Grab yourself a great deal at Port Macquarie Backpackers for a clean and tidy room that won’t eat into your budget.
Events and Festivals in Port Macquarie
Sports, music and food festivals fill up the Port Macquarie calendar. Check what’s on during your visit, jump in your rental car and head to one of these great events.
● For sports fans, the Pacific Coast Slam basketball tournament happens annually in January.
● The Mountain Bike Festival of Australia occurs in the first weekend of June.
● The Ironman challenge runs through the city in May.
● Tastings on Hastings is a month-long food festival held in October each year. With incredible food stalls, exhibitions, and demonstrations, it’s an event not to be missed.
● The free music weekend of Big Band Blast featuring local Australian musicians is a hit every year in June.
● In December, the Festival of the Sun hits the Sundowner Breakwall Tourist Park for two days of outdoor music performances.
Delectable modern Australian cuisine awaits you at The Corner Restaurant, or head to The Stunned Mullet on the waterfront for a delicious menu and specialty wines. Tea and Treasures is an adorable cafe with picturesque decor and cake to die for. The Rivermark Cafe offers a great gluten free range and will tempt you with gorgeous cakes and pastries.
The Place and the People
Situated on the Tasman Sea coast, Port Macquarie is a beautiful beach haven between the major cities of Sydney in the south, and Brisbane in the north. Blessed with a thriving economy, Port Macquarie has one of Australia’s fastest growing populations.
Things to do in Port Macquarie
Take advantage of the freedom a rental car affords you and explore all you can in this gorgeous seaside city.
● Billabong Zoo has a breeding centre dedicated to koalas, the native marsupials for which the town is known.
● Road trip south to Newcastle for a day trip or weekend getaway.
● Listen to stories about the history of the region as you ride along Lighthouse Beach with Port Macquarie Camel Safaris.
● Enjoy one of the Port Macquarie Hastings Heritage Walking Tours, or visit Port Macquarie Museum.
● Head into the Australian bush to visit Old Bottlebutt, the largest Red Bloodwood tree in the southern hemisphere.
The best way to experience the area of Port Macquarie is by rental car, but if you find yourself in need of public transport, Busways operates within the CBD seven days a week.
The NSW TrainLink connects Port Macquarie with Sydney and Brisbane. There is a coach which runs passengers to the train line at Wauchope Station from the city, which is about 20 minutes away.
Weather in Port Macquarie
No matter the time of year you visit Port Macquarie, it’s unlikely you’ll need any winter layers. The humid summer days between December and February average 27 degrees Celsius, while the winter dips to a comfortable 19 degree Celsius. Rain falls on and off throughout the year, and while there’s no particular rainy season, it’s wise to take a light jacket with you.