Secure a rental car in Rockhampton and explore this remarkable Australian town
Flanked by mountains with a river at its heart, the Australian city of Rockhampton is the gateway to an array of wonderful adventures. Whether you enjoy strolling along the riverfront admiring Victorian architecture, or taking a beautiful drive towards the Capricorn coast, capture the full charm of this Queensland city by renting a car and exploring the area at your own leisure.
The wide streets in Rockhampton make exploring in your rental car easy and enjoyable. While it can get busy during peak hours in the CBD and in the evenings down by the riverfront, just make sure you abide by the speed limits and keep an eye out for pedestrians.
From the Airport to the City
The Rockhampton Airport is located just outside the city, less than 10 minutes by car from the CBD. Pick up the keys to your rental car at the designated rental kiosk by the baggage claim area, jump in your vehicle and be on your way. Alternatively, hop on a Young's Bus to travel to town.
Tips for Driving in Rockhampton
● Motorists drive on the left.
● The speed limit is 50km/h in urban areas, and up to 100km/h on highways and countryside roads.
● For your safety, seat belts must be worn at all times. Make sure your children are in age appropriate seating.
Parking in Rockhampton
Rockhampton Airport has short and long term parking. The short term parking, recommended for a day or less, is located just a short walk from the terminal. The long term parking is slightly farther away, with entry from Canoona Road.
There’s plenty of parking options in the city, including pay and display, parking buildings and street parking. When you park your hired car in Rockhampton, always be aware of parking signs and double check designated time restrictions.
Compare the best rental car deals with Airport Rentals
Remove the stress from your holiday by pre-booking a rental car with Airport Rentals. We draw from a wide number of rental companies to bring you the best range of rental cars at the best prices. Simply type in your desired dates and a few other details and watch the options pop up. With no booking fees and an easy to use filtering system to narrow down your choices, you’ll have the optimal vehicle booked and ready to pick up in just a few clicks.
Fly to Rockhampton from the major centres of Sydney or Brisbane. Enjoy a snack upon arrival at the Airport Café while you catch up on emails using the free WiFi. Recently refurbished, the airport is fresh and modern, and has conference facilities available for hire should you be there on business.
There’s something for every style and budget in Rockhampton. Whether you’re after the luxurious rooms of Empire Apartment Hotel, or the classy Korte’s Resort, many hotels are within walking distance from hot spots in the city. For something a little cheaper, check in to the Citywalk Motor Inn Rockhampton or the Cosmopolitan Motel & Serviced Apts. Taking your family along? Visit the Coffee House Apartment Motel and favour suites over regular rooms.
Events in Rockhampton
Depending when you visit Rockhampton, you may be able to hop in your rental car and enjoy some of the local events.
● Throughout the year, the Pilbeam Theatre holds numerous productions, music events and comedy shows.
● The Rockhampton Cultural Festival is held annually in August, and features market stalls, food booths and international performances.
● In December just before Christmas, Carols by Candlelight held in the Rockhampton Music Bowl is an incredible showcase of beautiful voices.
● The three-day Rockhampton Agricultural Show happens each June, and provides visitors with entertainment, food, and musical and dance performances.
Eating out in Rockhampton
Despite being inland from the coast, the oysters at Restaurant 98 come highly recommended and the view from the restaurant’s river terrace is breathtaking. For a family run business, try Pacino’s Italian restaurant and enjoy the enormous pasta servings while overlooking the Fitzroy River. Take a relaxing break at Cafe Bliss, or try the coffee at Giddy Goat Cafe and Bar for a more laid-back atmosphere.
Location, Culture, and Community
Rockhampton lies on the Fitzroy River, and has three major bridges connecting both sides of the city. The river and great farmland lay the groundwork for a dominant agricultural industry in Rockhampton. With its central location and reputation as the Beef Capital of Australia, the city hosts a number of agricultural, government and community administrative offices for the towns throughout the state.
Referred to as ‘Rocky’ by the locals, Rockhampton is home to 90,000 multicultural residents who take pride in their city.
Things to do in Rockhampton
Take advantage of having rented a car in Rockhampton and visit all of the amazing attractions.
● The Riverbank Parklands is a stunning park and well suited for picnics.
● View amazing Australian artwork at the Rockhampton Art Gallery.
● The Rockhampton Botanic Gardens are home to incredible specimens, some of which are over 100-years old.
● Full of heritage listed buildings, the centre of Rockhampton makes for a beautiful walking tour; see if you can find all 6 Big Bulls located around town.
● For a family day out and the chance to see some Australian native animals, visit the Rockhampton Zoo, just 10 minutes from the CBD.
Cruising around Rockhampton in your rental car is the easiest way to see this Queensland town, but public transport options are available. Young’s Bus Service runs throughout the city and there are several taxi companies that serve the area. The intercity Traveltrain journeys to Rockhampton from Brisbane, and connects with the bus system for easy transfers.
Rockhampton is located in the Tropic of Capricorn, which means it’s hot and humid most of year. In the summer between December and February, the average high is 31 degrees Celsius, while the winter temperatures drops to a pleasant average of 23 degrees Celsius. The wet season is during summer, so be sure to pack a raincoat if you plan to visit around January.